Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Endeavours

Last night I began something very new. I joined a local community band. I played the flute back in grades 6-9, then dropped the instrument. Why?

I wonder. At the time, I was focused on my “bad” band conductor. I remember that I didn’t enjoy taking band class with him. There’s not much more to remember. But that event was enough for me to drop an instrument that I once cared about.

In fact, one of my fondest memories was playing my flute in the front yard of our house. I sat on the grass, and played and played, thinking that I wanted to carry on in music. That was the summer before grade nine, and before the unfortunate incident of meeting the “bad” band conductor.

Years later, I ask myself, was he so bad that it was really worth dropping out of band. My adult self says no. My teenage self said yes. Some of my other singularly noteworthy decisions was to quit French and piano also. Hmmmmm.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!?

But it’s never too late. I’m taking French, piano and ..band - which has led to me a man who is interested in teaching me flute at a price I can now afford. Life is so weird. Sometimes I wonder if I’m traveling in circles.

The band, by the way, is a lot of fun, though the flute is darn hard. I don’t know if I used to have a decent embouchure, but I certainly haven’t retained it.

So, I’m a wee bit frustrated, but it will come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home