Thursday, March 08, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Seeing Red


Red
I’m all for religion,
I’m religious myself
A bit of prayer here,
A few thoughts about God

Time-out
Time for thought
Over-time:

God time.

So, I don’t mean to be flippant.

But damn it.
I’m red.
I’m seething
I’m fed up.

Three hours in a catholic school
(yes, in Ontario, there are Catholic schools)
And I’ve been
Yes -

Looking at
The Pope
His Holiness.
And he's looking at me, Smiling at me
With a big warm welcoming grin.

And an oversized portrait of a very Big J.C.
He’s welcoming me - with outspread hands
And I just want to run!

"Jesus. This place is crawling with religious pictures,"
I say to a friend
With a face, and a laugh.
"It’s freaking me out!" she says,
And we both turn away from the pope and from Jesus
And all the othe bits and pieces of religious iconography

But the Pope ... I swear... he’s still looking at me....

And I've long driven home

I'm miles away,

But he's still smiling and looking at me.....







6 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Regina said...

Hee hee... I've had this same feeling many times before... like those bizarre pictures with the eyes that follow you everywhere...
What a great take on the prompt!

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to say I'm somewhat comforted that an excess of stuff like that can freak out even religious (yet otherwise mostly sensible) folks, and not just us heathen atheagnostic types. ;)

(that word wasn't a typo btw - more of a hybrid word for those who don't believe in a God, but are suspicious there might be some bigger mystery underneath everything).

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Carol Anne said...

I like that semantic amalgamation - that I think means open-minded? It's funny. I like a lot of religious art - stained-glass stuff etc. Perhaps the art in this school was especially bad and so not even aesthetically redeeming.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

The picture - the poem - Oh,yes! I know that feeling.

Hope to start participating in PT this coming week - in the mean time I'm enjoying every minute of browsing.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger jillypoet said...

I like how you blended a moment with a feeling, were aware of the feeling continuing, and turned it into poetry.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Mary J. said...

This is such a cool poem. I loved the part "This place is crawling with religious pictures." I didn't go to Catholic school, but I went to Sunday school. Creepy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home